Process, Process, Process. Many logistical things have been happening this week. I am planning on making huge scale prints on wallpaper or fabric but am unsure because of budgeting. I'm also starting to make graphic that will be used in the final product.
I recently learned of how to make a pattern that is seamless and does not give the "microsoft windows 2002" vibe. All thanks to Karl Gerstner's work piggybacking off of another geometrist. I used his method to create all of the patterns below. I am pretty excited because the method generates three patterns for the price of one.
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Thursday, February 23, 2012
There is a portrait contest coming up at MCAD and I thought that I would use it as an opportunity to work in a style that feels fun and natural to me. Natural as my swag.
There is something really gratuitous about working on self portraits, It was a little uncomfortable. This week was really about nailing aesthetic techniques that I thought could become relevant as I choose a direction and start to make work for the exhibition.
This reminds me of a Pink Floyd poster.
The following experiments were purely a result of the frustration of searching through both illustrator and photoshop for a quick way vectorize raster linework. I did not find a good way to do this, granted my original sketch was terrible in multiple ways. However, things exist in the Adobe suite that I never knew existed and I had some fun.
These are two sketches that are process pieces. Photoshop has been underutilized by me and I am working to change that.
And the faulty and fumbling relationship between Illustrator and Photoshop. However I am seeing more possibilities. Also, this is the only place that you will see Anna Karina and Tesla side by side.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
This is the Illustrator equivalent to cross-stitching. I'm working in a style inspired by a designer that I respect and admire--even more so after working with this kind of pattern. It is amazing what one color will do next to each different pairing.
The saying is just something that rings poignant at different times. I tried for something geometrically simple so the patterning wouldn't get out of control. This is an extension of the exploration with repeating patterns. Color bootcamp too.
edit: I greatly dislike blogspots lightbox resizing because you can't see the work. I added the full poster chopped in two.
Friday, February 17, 2012
With this pattern I'm getting closer to what I want to do. The previously mysterious world of non-directly edited patterns is starting to make sense. A lot of geometry is involved and a lot remains to be learned.
This pattern is based around the emotion of anticipation using Pavlov's experiment as a metaphor. Another way to put it would be the dangling of the carrot. I will revisit the idea later--The pattern itself seems haphazard to me but it was invaluably educational.
I am going to print this on fabric today, I'm excited to see how it will turn out.
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
These are further explorations of the continuous pattern. My goal was to start more simple and geometric, unfortunately that did not pan out. The original Hypnopedia created by Emigre spurred the idea of the continuous pattern, and seeing the graphics that were created in that family it was clear that something like a letterform was taken and manipulated. True to that form each of these patterns are a based on a taking a letterform and illuminating it. And lots of replicating.
I was illustrating a simple neighborhood using a Base Nine 'R' for the pattern above and when I went to replicate it--BAM, robots appeared (it was scary).
Somewhere in the abstraction there is an Vag Rounded 'A'. This was very difficult to seam together but I finally got all of the lines.
Very simple, I didn't want to touch it. There is a Caslon 't' that is fairly prominent.
This was a difficult stretch of pattern created from an illustrated Bifur 'L'. The following has the original formation that I created and then manipulated to make this pattern.
Simple, innocuous neighborhood scene. I never would have guessed.
Somewhat like Houndstooth.
The original setting. Word is 'lithe', which Bifur is not.
These are getting more complex.
Bifur goes up in flame.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
In an efforts to create more work each week I am going to update more frequently and share a little process. This week I am beginning something that I haven't done before formally; I am making continuous patterns. While I have always had somewhat pattern-oriented work I haven't automated my pattern making process as much as I could.
At a first glance I can tell you, it is difficult to make a pattern that doesn't look like a unelegant video game skin from ten years ago (I'm looking at you Quake). In any case I am mainly trying to make it look more organic and varied.
I am still working on this. Along with simplification of the shapes and elements involved. The following are some variations that preceded the patterns.
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Most of these are really rough screencaps of what I have been working on this week. I am still exploring the idea of the eastern and western economies; where the economies war and intersect, and who will win.
I've done a lot of research and am beginning some visual explorations. The task I set myself to do this week is to take the currency symbol for the Chinese Yuan (yes it is the same as the Japanese Yen) and the American Dollar and find patterns and forms. The following are made entirely from the Yuan and Dollar in either a serif or san serif.
My favorite San Serif combo:
I'm also working with more illustration. Unfortunately the dimension of the fortune cookie doesn't replicate well and I want to integrate the text more thoroughly. Then I got sidetracked and started to sketch.
I plan to collate this more neatly but I thought I'd share this weeks work.