Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Four Scenarios From the Union of Mrs. Lemody and Mr. Alfred Mooshka

This piece, elaborately titled, is a part of the Macro and Micro show at the Light Grey Art Lab going on through May 10th. If you are in Minneapolis, please stop by to see all of the amazing naturalistic work exhibited.

I spent the better part of a week huddled in to the books at the University of Minnesota Biomedical library, studying DNA and transcription. I have always had an interest in genetics (Gattaca was my favorite movie for a long time) but just recently I've started to comb over the specifics. It has been incredibly enlightening as I had always thought the topic to be too heavy duty.

What I find interesting about Mendelian (and even cross) inheritance is the regularity with which particular traits can be predicted in offspring. With these mice I wanted to take two coat patterns not found in typically found in nature and recombine them in to a study with a mouse family, exhibiting four possible outcomes of the birth of Mrs. Mooshka.

Here is the result when stars are dominant, spots are recessive. I plan to create more work in this vein in the future because I believe that this fascinatingly complex topic can be made accessible to everyone. If you would like to check out the other pieces in the show or buy a print you can purchase one here


No comments: